1st - 7th May 2016
Nature Yoga Retreat in Cádiz
Do good to your spirit and good to the planet by joining this one of a kind retreat
Do good to your spirit and good to the planet by joining this one of a kind retreat in the midst of the Natural Reserve Sierra de Grazalema in the Mountains of Cádiz.
A Unesco Biosphere reserve since 1977, it is Andalucia's first natural park and among Spain's most ecologically outstanding areas with its limestone cliffs, gullies, caves and gorges, its hundreds of endemic Mediterranean plant species and griffon vulture colonies. In fact it's been included amongst the 50 natural wonders of the world ahead of places as famous as the Grand Canyon in the US!
Spend one week with us to take your practice to a new level: improve your poses and posture, make friends in a healthy, cooperative and non-judgemental environment and explore a part of the world filled with marvels still untouched.
If you were already considering taking a step back to basics in order to discover and work with your body’s strengths and weaknesses, this retreat will stretch your body but also your mind. Part of all profits goes back to Nature Conservancy.
The estate is 4 kilometres from the town El Gastor, known as the balcony of the The White Villages of Cádiz, due to its altitude. The property is on 250,000 square meters of land protected by automated security gates.
There are 5 clusters of country homes that are separated from each other by large distances to ensure privacy. Each of them has its own private pool with incredible views of the mountains.
There is a tennis court surrounded by trees and free parking at the homes. Yoga classes will be held in a spacious room bathed in sunlight. The yoga shala is equipped with mats and props for all our yoga needs. The meals will be served in the big house.
The retreat is located at Calle Parche, 26, 11687 El Gastor, Cádiz, Spain. This is 1h 20 mins from Jerez airport, 1h 30 mins from Sevilla airport, or 1h 30 mins from Malaga airport.
If you wish to have an airport transfer from Malaga we are happy to organise for you both pick up and drop off in time for your flight after the retreat. A transfer there and back can be arranged for £40 each way. You can also get to Grazalema House via train or bus to Ronda. Both buses and trains leave Malaga city regularly throughout the day and we can come pick you up from the bus/train station in Ronda.
In Grazalema house there are either single or double occupancy rooms offered. All homes are beautifully decorated and all have private bathrooms attached. There is WiFi, LED TV, AC and heaters in each room. By default, you will share a room with one other student. If you wish to opt for a single room, there will be an additional fee of £130.
All of your meals are included in the retreat. We will serve you a lovely prepared buffet-style breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. On the arrival day, dinner is included and on departure day we will serve you breakfast.
All the food served will be well balanced, vegetarian dishes planned by our food expert Javier to ensure that you are well taken care of during the retreat.
If you have any food allergies or special requests, please let us know so we can prepare the best alternative for your needs.
The retreat will begin with a full anatomical assessment, so as to target the sequences to individual quirks - spine and postural issues (spondylitis, scoliosis, hyperlordosis, etc), joint issues (arthritis, chronic knee pain) - and provide solutions around your lifestyle (eg. how to keep a healthy posture if you sit in an office chair 8h+ a day).
It will also provide an introduction to breathing techniques (pranayama), relaxation techniques, meditation, diet and especially - the experience and knowledge to personalise your own yoga practice for years to come. Last but not least you have the chance to explore the unique nature around the place, through bushwalks, canoeing, kayaking and more.
Beginners will be offered a wonderful (re)introduction to the practice of yoga and the more advanced will have a chance to revisit and enrich their practice with perhaps a(n) new/alternate vision. Individual attention and options customised in the classroom environment will ensure you enjoy a safe yet challenging experience.
- 06:30 Suggested wakeup time
- 07:00 Pranayama (15 min)
- 07:15 Dynamic Vinyasa Flow (60 min)
- 08:30 Breakfast
- 09:30 Free time / other activities *
- 13:30 Lunch
- 14:30 Free time
- 15:30 Raw Vegan Cuisine Workshop by Karen (optional - 45 min)
- 16:15 Free time / other activities *
- 18:15 Evening Hatha or Yin (60 min)
- 19:15 Yogic Meditation (15-25 min)
- 19:40 Dinner
- * You can schedule your one-on-one session for individual coaching during these intervals. One session per person during the retreat is included. These sessions are optional but recommended.
This schedule is just indicative and may be subject to change.
- Are activities included in the yoga retreat?
- Activities are paid separate, this way you can choose the ones you prefer. Once you arrive, we'll reserve your favorite activities for you.
- How can I get to the yoga retreat?
- The best option is to rent a car from the airport for your entire stay. It´s cheaper than a taxi and that way you can enjoy the freedom of transportation every day on the retreat.
- I need a special diet, can you provide it?
- Of course! As long as you let us know before your arrival, we can prepare the diet you need. For example, if you are gluten intolerant, vegan, or have any other special diet needs.
- Are cancellations allowed?
- You can cancel your reservation up to 60 days before the retreat. If you cancel after the allotted time period you'll lose the deposit or you can transfer it to another guest.
- What should I bring?
- Bring comfortable clothing for practicing yoga, a swimsuit, beach towel, sunscreen, and your yoga mat (although we'll provide one if you don't have).
Rua is a rather nerdy yogini and has been intermittently flirting with yoga for almost a decade, until she decided to fully dedicate herself to it in 2014. Nowadays she is striving to teach yoga the way she would have always wanted to be taught.
Her long-term goal is to gather a new generation of yoga practitioners who think of yoga critically, not superstitiously, who want to learn to work healthily and integrate balance and sustainability in their lives; to offer a resource for those who want to approach yoga but also for those who simply want to understand yoga without practicing it; to offer a space for those who have tried and failed to get into it many times before, to try once more.
Despite exposing herself to many styles along the years (Yin, Iyengar, Ashtanga Vinyasa, a.s.o) for Rua the one size fits all approach won’t do. “Adapting yoga to suit the needs of every unique individual is where the true greatness of yoga lies” as TKV Desikachar had put it, and it’s how her classes inevitably develop.
Karen loves a challenge and, since she’d always excelled at all sports she’d tried, soccer included, yoga came as a natural progression. However surprisingly, or perhaps not so surprisingly, she discovered herself initially to be unprepared for yoga. She wasn’t as bendy as she’d thought, in body or mind.
Gradually though, yoga brought her in touch with her own body in a way unlike anything she’d experienced before, made her more mindful, more aware of her thoughts, actions and emotions, and less competitive. Yoga has taught her to not compare herself with others, but rather to celebrate everyone’s differences.
Today her biggest passion is to share the gift of yoga, linking Breath and Movement with Intention. She sees yoga as a way of life — something to practice both on and off the mat. She also loves to share her delicious smoothie and raw vegan cake recipes to infuse more energy and fun into the after practice.
Karen will lead Vinyasa flow and Rua will lead most Hatha and Yin, however both will be present to all classes for your extra support and assistance.
Whether doing yoga asana or other types of physical exercise, or even only sitting, postural alignment is crucial, a lot of issues originate in it, so a lot of focus will be placed on it during our classes. Yoga is however not just asana, therefore our retreat will provide an overview of all the 8 limbs of yoga.
What makes us unique?
- You’ll get to dip a toe or two into Hatha, Vinyasa, Yin and Iyengar yoga, as well as Pranayama and various Meditation techniques.
- Small groups of up to 16 people and two teachers present, to keep it intimate and ensure you get lots of individual attention and support.
- 3 vegetarian meals/day, made from local Mediterranean ingredients, are always a win.
- You can opt for an additional individual yoga session outside of the group session times, to help construct your ideal, personalised practice or...
- ..you can just hike in the mountains, exploring this unbelievable habitat, swim in the pool, play tennis, ride on horseback.
- Yoga Ruka commits to donate a minimum of 10% of the profit from their retreats to support environment, education and environmental education.
- 6 nights at a luxury resort in the nature reserve
- 3 vegetarian meals / day
- Up to 3 hours of asana practice / day
- Individual anatomical assessment, to tailor sequences to your body
- 1 individually tailored session (optional, free of cost)
- Vegan foods workshop (optional, free of cost)
From griffon vulture colonies to hundreds of endemic Mediterranean plant species such as the rare Spanish fir, relic of the Tertiary geological era, the Sierra de Grazalema's fragile ecosystem needs our protection.
This is why Ruka Yoga commit to donate a minimum 10% of their profits to support projects such as the protection of this incredible natural reserve through O-Live Environmental Association, but also the education of disadvantaged children in India through organisations such as Make a difference or Nanhi Kali.
By purchasing this deposit, you accept and agree to our terms and conditions. Don't worry, they're not scary!
- Airport transfer